Tanning does not simply stop with picking your method of tanning. There are a number of things that you should make a habit of when it comes to pre and post tanning which will ensure a healthy skin.
Pre Tanning Care
- Shower: Take a shower 24 hours before you start your tanning session. However, refrain from applying moisturizing oils or lotions on your body with the only exception for those people who have very dry skin. The reason behind this is because applying lotion or moisturizer creates a layer on the skin which interferes with the effects of tanning.
- Exfoliate: While taking a shower, exfoliate your entire body. You cannot afford to have dead skin cells on your body when you start applying self tanners or when you are lying on a tanning bed. To ensure that you are able to exfoliate effectively, use a loofah which is a tool that helps remove dead skin cells. Use mild oil while exfoliating your body. Pay extra attention to areas that are naturally dry like the knees, elbows, wrists, ankles and refrain from using any moisturizers after exfoliating.
- Shave: You may also want to take this opportunity to shave or use a depilatory cream to reduce your skin hair but not within 24 hours prior to self tanning.
Post Tanning Care
- Clothing: After 10-12 hours that you are finished with your tanning session, keep in mind that the only clothing you should be wearing are comfortable, loose and dark colored clothing. You cannot risk tanning solution on your skin to end up staining your clothing if you go for tight ones.
- No to Strenuous Activities: Refrain from doing any activity that can get you wet or cause your body to sweat at least 10-12 hours after your tanning session. The last thing that you want to do is to engage in activities that can potentially wash off your tan and some of these activities include bathing, swimming, exercises, and standing under the sun. While 10-12 hours is the ideal timeframe that is required for the tan to take effect, you are free to wait for an hour or two more before doing these activities.
- Darker Sheets: If you decide to sleep on your tan not taking a shower on the first day so as to make your skin darker, make sure that you put dark colored bed sheets. This ensures that even if a bit of your tan end sup staining your sheets then it is not visibly obvious.
These are some of the most important things that you should keep in mind before and after you tan.