Many believe that having a tanned skin look desirable hence some people make an effort to get their skin tanned in various ways. On the other hand, some prefer to utilize tanning sprays to tan their skins and for good reason. Self tanning is not only convenient but it saves you a lot of effort and money as compared to visiting your local tanning spa or going to the beach. However, there are a number of things that you should do before and after you tan your skin.
- Scrub: Make sure that you scrub at least 6 hours before your tanning session. However, when scrubbing, do not use shaving cream but instead, use soap and water because using a shaving cream will only interfere with the effectiveness of the tanning spray.
- Dryness: If the skin is dry, the best way to remedy this is to apply a light water based lotion on your skin at least two hours before the tanning session. Be careful not to put too much because lotions create another layer on the skin which may block the tanning spray.
- Make-up: Make sure that you remove and wash away make up from your face before your tanning session if you want to achieve the best results.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliate the skin at least 8 hours before self tanning to smoothen your skin for decent results. Spend more time exfoliating knees, elbows, feet and hands.
- Garments: Refrain from wearing wool, nylon, or silk during the tanning session because the DHA may show a negative chemical reaction on the fabrics and potentially cause stains.
- Shower: Wait at least 8-12 hours before you take a shower. This gives the tanning spray's effect more time to show results.
- Moisturizer: Refrain from applying moisturizers before you take your first shower after a tanning session because this might negatively affect the tanning solution on your skin.
- Exercise:Refrain from exercising until after you are able to shower.
- Moisturize Daily: In order for you to be able to maintain the quality of your tan, make sure that you moisturize on a daily basis. Also make sure that you utilize water-based moisturizers rather than using oil-based moisturizers because the latter can cause some areas to blotch.
- Clothing: Refrain from wearing nylon, wool, or silk for at least 8 hours after your tanning session to keep the possibility of the DHA from staining these clothing.
Make it a point to follow through on these reminders if you want to get the best results.